Doughnuts!

Nope, not beer…but they use yeast so I figured it would fit the blog anyways.

Doughnuts are fairly simply to make, they just take forever.

image

image

Advertisements

Save the Yeast!!!!

If you were to add up the cost of a one gallon batch of beer, there really isn’t a lot to it. However, one place to save a bit of cash is in the yeast. Many brewers will harvest yeast from batch to batch and save it for later. Since yeast is a living breathing organism, a brewer can continue to harvest the yeast indefinitely. And thus, I have decided to do the same….

Step One: Prepare the yeasts new home

For this step, I boiled a few jars, sealed them, and let then cool overnight for step two.

image

Step Two: Harvesting the yeast

To harvest the yeast, I first transfer my beer into a secondary fermentor, this helps the beer become more clear before bottling as well as provide a way to harvest the yeast.

After the beer is safely tucked into it’s new home, I add my boiled water to the carboy, shake, and pour into a large jar to separate.

image

After waiting a little while I can pour this mixture into my three small jars to await future use.
image

That’s it! Super easy, the big question is whether or not I can revive the yeast….

I will post more on that when I brew this weekend.

Brew Day: Simply Blonde Ale

Well, the brew day started off great although it was quite warm outside and since Ashley was baking, it was about 90*. This makes using my new refractometer difficult….but I’m not an extremely scientific brewer anyways.

Alright, so a blonde ale (from my short amount of research) is a very basic ale, light in color, with very few outstanding characteristics. Not malty, but not very biter either. But this changes from brewer to brewer. I set my recipe up to be a little on the malty side. I also used two hop additions of cascade hops – hoping for a slight citrus tang.

Recipe (One Gallon)

1.75 lbs American 2 row
0.25 lbs Crystal 10
4g Cascade @ 60 min
3g Cascade @ 10 min
American Ale Yeast (SO-5)

The entire brewing process wasn’t too bad. A major downside I discovered was that I only hit about 50% efficiency in my MLT. So being quite short of my planned original gravity, I added some honey to bring my OG to 1.040.

Being my first post, written entirely on my phone, this is the only picture I have today. But I will add more if I get around to it.
image

This it’s just 24 hours later. The beer on the right is Apple Crisp Ale.

Update!
I cracked open my first bottle today! Pouring it into a glad I was greeted with a perfect fluffy head that lingered a while before forming a nice 1/4″ foam cap that lasted longer than it took me to drink it! It had a pleasant balanced taste, free from most weird flavors – finishing with slight citrus notes. The citrus wasn’t quite as strong as I was hoping, and it did have a slight “leafy hoppy” taste that I am not particularly find of. All in all, I think I will tweak the recipe a bit a brew a new batch this weekend!