If you were to add up the cost of a one gallon batch of beer, there really isn’t a lot to it. However, one place to save a bit of cash is in the yeast. Many brewers will harvest yeast from batch to batch and save it for later. Since yeast is a living breathing organism, a brewer can continue to harvest the yeast indefinitely. And thus, I have decided to do the same….
Step One: Prepare the yeasts new home
For this step, I boiled a few jars, sealed them, and let then cool overnight for step two.
Step Two: Harvesting the yeast
To harvest the yeast, I first transfer my beer into a secondary fermentor, this helps the beer become more clear before bottling as well as provide a way to harvest the yeast.
After the beer is safely tucked into it’s new home, I add my boiled water to the carboy, shake, and pour into a large jar to separate.
After waiting a little while I can pour this mixture into my three small jars to await future use.
That’s it! Super easy, the big question is whether or not I can revive the yeast….
I will post more on that when I brew this weekend.
Well, the brew day started off great although it was quite warm outside and since Ashley was baking, it was about 90*. This makes using my new refractometer difficult….but I’m not an extremely scientific brewer anyways.
Alright, so a blonde ale (from my short amount of research) is a very basic ale, light in color, with very few outstanding characteristics. Not malty, but not very biter either. But this changes from brewer to brewer. I set my recipe up to be a little on the malty side. I also used two hop additions of cascade hops – hoping for a slight citrus tang.
Recipe (One Gallon)
1.75 lbs American 2 row
0.25 lbs Crystal 10
4g Cascade @ 60 min
3g Cascade @ 10 min
American Ale Yeast (SO-5)
The entire brewing process wasn’t too bad. A major downside I discovered was that I only hit about 50% efficiency in my MLT. So being quite short of my planned original gravity, I added some honey to bring my OG to 1.040.
Being my first post, written entirely on my phone, this is the only picture I have today. But I will add more if I get around to it.
This it’s just 24 hours later. The beer on the right is Apple Crisp Ale.
I cracked open my first bottle today! Pouring it into a glad I was greeted with a perfect fluffy head that lingered a while before forming a nice 1/4″ foam cap that lasted longer than it took me to drink it! It had a pleasant balanced taste, free from most weird flavors – finishing with slight citrus notes. The citrus wasn’t quite as strong as I was hoping, and it did have a slight “leafy hoppy” taste that I am not particularly find of. All in all, I think I will tweak the recipe a bit a brew a new batch this weekend!